How to Study for College Exams


Taking school seriously was a difficult thing for me to do when I was younger. This showed in my grades and they continued to slip until I dropped out my senior year. About a year after that, I went back to High School and graduated. During that year I spent much time thinking about my future and what I could do to make it successful. I knew instantly that I had to graduate high school and go to college. It was time I took my education more seriously and tried to not let personal situations prevent me from bettering my self. Knowing what college and what major to study is key. However, knowing how to stay on top of your school work and never succumb to procrastination is integral to your college years. 

 One of the main reasons students fail exams is simply because they do not study properly. Taking notes is vital and attending class only will not be helpful unless you consistently look over your material. I’m a visual-learner. What this means is that I prefer to write notes and look at them over and over. It is difficult for me to pay attention if I am listening to a professor speaking. With that being said, perhaps my methods are better suited for fellow visual-learners but anyone could use them to their advantage. 
 
Here are a few pointers on how to study for college exams:




   


         If you do not have a planner, I highly recommend you invest in one. Scheduling your days will help you to not stress over due dates or when you have to work next. Plan accordingly and use your extra time to study. Granted, every college student deserves to spend some free time having fun but the majority should be spent studying. What works for me is leaving the studying for the last part of my day. That does not mean I schedule my study time after dinner. It means getting little errands done all at once in the morning, and using the rest of the day to go over my material. Having no commitment for the rest of the day means you will not look at the clock so frequently. Studying before you go to work or on lunch breaks is not a bad idea either. This helps to refresh what you’ve previously looked over. 







        You’re probably thinking, “Who has time to color code their notes?!” And you’re right. This is a step you save for when you’ve scheduled to study for long periods of time. It’s also a great way to organize detailed material. When you are listening to your professor, you’re going to jot down phrases, not sentences. Things will hardly make sense to you and this is why you must review handouts and textbooks. If you’re a visual-learner like myself, you want to see the details on paper. So, what I do is take the notes that are phrases and match them to the material we learned that day. For example, your notes after class may look like this:

A.   Why War
1.     Religious conflictions
2.     Nationalism

When you are ready to color code, this will help you to understand the topic and the valid points. Exams usually consist of essay questions so though this will take longer, it will be helpful to know the thesis of the points instead of what they are specifically. Now your notes will look like this:

A.   Why War
1.     Religious Conflictions; Societies throughout time have held great dissociation from nation to nation due to a variance in religious ideologies.
2.     Nationalism; Nations tend to favor the integrity of their own societies, causing an increase in selfish desire for worldly power while letting weaker nations to expire.

You see what I have done is color coded the question, “Why War?” The first point is religious conflictions, followed with a thesis. The second point is nationalism, followed with a thesis. I know, I know. It seems like common sense. But in reality, a lot of students I have encountered do not do this and are left trying to decipher their own notes. Professors are going to want a thesis on exams and valid points to support it. Though it may not be the answer they’re looking for, if you provide a good argument there is a bigger change they will give you credit.



 


Do NOT be scared of asking your professor for help. If their instructions 
 are confusing, ask for clarification. If your professor offers a study guide with questions that will be on the exam, do not try to seek answers but look for guidance. One thing that has helped me in this situation is countering your confusion with what you think could be the answer. The professor may then hint if your ideas are correct or if you should look at the question from a different perspective. If your professor does not give study guides, ask them what you should focus on studying that will benefit you on the exam. Communicating with your professor will show that you are serious about the class. They are more helpful than you think.
      




        Trying to study in a cluttered and loud room is not ideal. Either find a library you can study in or ask your dorm partner to leave your room. Sunlight will also help with focusing your mind. It goes without saying that studying in a dark room is ridiculous. However, I have noticed that being exposed to fluorescent lighting for certain lengths of time causes headaches. Trying to find light that mimics the sun will help above all. If you’re able to listen to music (preferably instrumental), this will help to relax your mind and body. I am a huge advocate of ASMR. If you are not aware of what ASMR is, please Google it. These videos are made with the idea that they will help you to focus better and reduce anxiety. 
 




        After you’ve overwhelmed yourself with trying to remember everything, reward yourself! This will give you motivation to start and finish your studying on time. If there is a piece of clothing you want, a book, a new movie, save it for when you are done with your exams. You will feel that much more proud of yourself for having stuck to a schedule, and studying for those long, boring exams without becoming distracted.


Last but not least, remember that college is going to be an important, exciting, and momentous time of your life. It is vital that you push yourself to do well to ensure that your future will be prosperous.



No comments:

Post a Comment